1. In general, you need a high school diploma.
2. You usually need formal company training, on-the-job training, and several years' experience as a machine or process operator in the same company or department. You may also need a college diploma in a related field.
3. You may need an industrial first-aid certificate.
4. To be a petroleum, gas or chemical process operator, you may need a college diploma in process operation, science, or a related subject as well as various certificates and licences.
5. To be a pulping control operator, you may need a college or other program in forest products processing or a related subject.
6. Most recent entrants have a community college diploma, and almost 3 in 10 have a undergraduate university degree.