1. In general, you usually need a high school diploma.
2. To gain certification, you usually need to complete an apprenticeship or have a combination of experience and trade courses. Trade certification is available in most provinces/territories.
3. Qualified tradespersons may also obtain interprovincial (Red Seal) trade certification, which provides job mobility throughout the country.
4. To be a blacksmith or die setter, you usually need a high school diploma and several years' forging machine operator experience.
5. Most recent entrants have a trade/vocational certificate.