1. In general, you need a college or technical institute diploma. You may also need certification by a professional organization in your field, which is usually obtained after a two-year supervised work period.
2. To be a chemical technologist or technician, you usually need a college or technical school diploma in chemical, biochemical or chemical engineering technology or in a closely related field. National certification for chemical technologists/technicians is available through the Canadian Society for Chemical Technology.
3. To be a geological and mineral technologist or technician, you usually need a college or technical institute diploma in geological, petroleum, mining, mining engineering, hydrogeology or ground water, mineralogy, metallurgical or welding technologies.
4. To be a geophysics technologist, you may need a college or technical institute diploma in geophysics, petroleum or electronics technology.
5. Many recent entrants have a community college diploma and almost 2 in 5 have a undergraduate university degree.