1. In general, you need a commercial fishing licence.
2. To be a fishing master or officer, you usually need some high school education. You must have one to two years' experience as a fishing vessel deckhand and a fishing master's certificate.
3. To be a captain, you also need one year's service as officer in charge of the watch.
4. To be a fishing vessel skipper or fisherman or woman, you usually need several years' experience as a fishing vessel crew member or helper.
5. Most recent entrants have a community college diploma.