1. In general, you usually need a high school diploma.
2. To gain trade certification as an oil and solid fuel heating, electrical, motorcycle, small-engine and equipment mechanic or repairer, you usually need a three- to four-year apprenticeship or a combination of experience and college or other courses.
3. You may need trade certification in the province/territory where you'll work.
4. Most mechanics may also obtain interprovincial (Red Seal) trade certification, which provides job mobility throughout the country.
5. To be a small appliance repairer or other small-engine and equipment mechanic, you usually need on-the-job training and college or other courses.
6. Most recent entrants have a trade/vocational certificate, and almost 2 in 5 have a community college diploma.