1. In general, you need a college, technical institute or university education, or specialized training.
2. To be a technologist, you usually need a two- to three-year college program in your area of work.
3. To be a technician, you usually need a one- to two-year college program in your area of work.
4. You may require certification by a professional or technical association and other memberships.
5. Most recent entrants have a community college diploma and almost 3 in 10 have an undergraduate university degree.