1. To work in these occupations you may need a high school diploma.
2. To be a maître d'hôtel, host or hostess, you usually need several weeks' on-the-job training.
3. To be a maître d'hôtel, you need experience as a formal or captain waiter or waitress, or other food service experience.
4. To be a bartender, you usually need a college or other bartending program, or courses in mixing drinks.
5. To be a waiter or waitress, you may need on-the-job training. Formal waiters and waitresses may require college or vocational school courses.
6. To be a wine steward, you may need courses in wine selection and service or experience as a formal or captain waiter or waitress.